The Indian Premier League or IPL is undoubtedly the game-changer in our country. The biggest cricket league in the world. Fans from all over the world follow it as it is not only popular in India but all across the globe. There is no doubt that this upcoming tournament is action-packed and is the most-watched cricket league in the country, but it has indeed made the format famous internationally. This tournament consists of 8 teams, and every team has its fans. The players are auctioned every few years, which decides the fate of the players. But every team has a fixed amount to spend every year on auction as they have to be very tactical and calculative while spending. So, here is the list of current franchisees and their owners.
- Punjab Kings: Every franchise has a short form, so do Punjab Kings, as PBKS was formerly known as Kings XI Punjab (KXIP). The team is based in Mohali and is co-owned by Ness Wadia of Wadia Group, Preity Zinta, Mohit Burman, and Karan Paul. But the face of this team is Preity Zinta due to her fan following in India as she is a successful Bollywood actress.
- Delhi Capital: Delhi Capital is also known as DC and is owned equally by the GMR Group and the JSW Group. DC had a successful run in the 13th edition, reaching the finals for the first time. It was previously known as Delhi Daredevils until the name changed two years ago when the team sold a 50% stake to their JSW Group.
- Rajasthan Royals: Rajasthan Royals is a franchise based in Rajasthan. It is also known as RR; its owner is Manoj Badale (British Asian Trust). RR has also won the inaugural season of IPL in 2008. Since 2008, it has given tough competition to various other teams.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore: It has been one of the most talked-about teams in IPL since the inaugural tournament. Although it has never won the competition, they had been runner-ups in 2009, 2011, and 2016. United Spirits owns the team. The alcohol baron, Vijay Mallya, owns a majority stake in that company.
- Sunrisers Hyderabad: Also known as SRH, this team is based in Hyderabad, Telangana. The team is owned by Sun Network post-bankruptcy of Deccan Chronicle. Sunrisers have won the title in 2016 while Deccan Chargers won the second edition of IPL, 2019.
- Kolkata Knight Riders: This team represents Kolkata, West Bengal. KKR had a successful run as they have won the IPL title twice in 2012 and 2014. The owners are Red Chillies Entertainment and Mehta Group with Red Chillies having a majority stake.
- Chennai Super Kings: It is the most popular team in the IPL. In 2010, 2011, and 2018. CSK won the championship thrice. N Srinivasan is the franchise owner and the head of India Cements. He is also the former Chairman of the ICC.
- Mumbai Indians: MI is one of the best teams. They have had an incredible title run and have won the tournament a total of five times. The team is owned by Reliance and is owned solely by Mukesh Ambani.